Summer Road Trip Checklist
It’s summertime and that means it’s time for a summer road trip with your family and friends! It is important to make sure you have all the essentials and be prepared for any type of situation to arise, which ensures a drama-free and fun time making memories to last a lifetime.
Feel free to “screenshot” our checklist below to verify you are not forgetting any of the essential summer road trip items, or print out this blog!
Summer Road Trip Checklist
- License & Registration: Although this should be in your vehicle at all times, it’s especially important to make sure you have them before leaving home for multiple days.
- Car Insurance & Relevant Contact Numbers: Hopefully you won’t need to use your insurance on your trip, but keep a copy in the car just in case. Also, having your insurance agent’s contact information if a question or situation were to arise.
- Owner’s Manual: Uh oh, a light has turned on and you have no idea what to do?! Grab that owner’s manual and start reading, to find your answer.
- Spare tire: Make sure to keep a spare tire in your car to fix a flat tire and minimize any delays on your trip. Also, make sure the tire is in perfect condition too before leaving.
- Roadside Emergency Kit: Having a kit such as first aid supplies, jumper cables, tow strap, flash light, tire pressure gauge, rain coat, etc. is helpful in case someone gets hurt or if there is any sort of emergency.
- Phone Charger: Your phone charger (or USB cord) is key when on a summer road trip! No need to ever reach 20% when you can easily plug in your phone for a quick boost. Keeping your phone fully charged when on a road trip is important just in case you need to call for help, have to use Google Maps, or want to play music.
- Snacks: Hungry bellies do not make for a happy summer road trip! That being said, bring along non-perishable snacks that can sit in a hot car and are easy to eat when on the go. Some of our favorites include granola bars, crackers and beef jerky. Plus, in case of emergency or traffic jams you do not have to worry about the adults or kids getting hungry. Even better, there is no need to constantly stop and purchase snacks from gas station convenience store.
- Garbage Bags: Keep your car clean and organized when on your trip! Garbage bags come in handy to easily throw away food wrappers, used paper towels/ tissues, or anything that piles up in the car after many hours of driving.
- Hand Sanitizer: Keep clean and keep those germs away! After using public restrooms or visiting highly populated tourist spots, clean your hands to prevent from getting sick.
- Blankets & Pillows: Blankets and pillows are nice to have on summer road trips as these drives can be long and it’s nice for passengers to be comfortable and drift off to sleep when sitting in the backseat. Blankets are also detrimental if you got stranded for whatever reason and the nighttime temperatures dropped.
- Sunglasses: Keep those bright sun rays out of your eyes when driving!
- Games for Kids: There’s no better way to pass the time on a long summer road trip than playing games with the entire family. Games such as “I Spy” or other word association games are great for all ages and easy to play when in the car.
- Paper Towels: Paper towels are a necessity to have in your car in case of any type of spill, then you have something to clean it up with right away without a hassle.
- Flash Light: Road trips can be an all day activity, so having a flashlight once dark is important for when you stop or finally get to your destination. Some rest stops do not have lights, so a flashlight will help guide you in that case. A flashlight is also helpful in case you have to pull over on the side of the road when it is dark outside.
- Cash: Though it may be 2019, cash is still king! Having cash on hand is especially important when traveling through small towns that may not accept credit card or charge a service fee.
- Bottled Water & Other Drinks: Besides having water on hand in case of breaking down in an unpopulated area and having to wait for being towed, it is more cost effective to have drinks from home instead of purchasing on the go.
- Ice Chest/ Cooler: Keeping a cooler in the car will ensure that your perishable food items and drinks will stay cool during your summer road trip. There is nothing better than a cold drink on a summer day!
Future Nissan of Roseville would love to help make sure your car is ready to go on a summer road trip! The kids are out of school and there is no better time than take a family vacation. Besides making sure that you have everything on the above summer road trip checklist, it is just as important to have your car serviced before hitting the road and driving numerous miles. The last thing you would want to happen is have an engine light turn on or require an oil change when away from home. Our qualified, experienced service technicians at Future Nissan of Roseville will ensure that your vehicle is in the best possible condition and everything is running smoothly. Schedule a service appointment today before taking your summer road trip!